Dietary Recommendations for Preventing and Managing Cancer, Naturally!
Turmeric contains the powerful cancer-fighting polyphenol Curcumin.
Curcumin has been clinically shown to inhibit growth of various cancer cells including: Bone Cancer, Breast Cancer, Brain Tumors, Colon, Liver, Pancreatic, Stomach, Bladder, Kidney, Prostate, Leukemia, Ovarian, Melanoma, and more!
Curcumin has the ability to block every stage of cancer development, from cell mutation, to tumor growth, to metastasis. It can also kill many different types of cancer cells by triggering apoptosis (programmed cell death) without affecting normal cells.
Curry Powder is a great way to increase consumption of turmeric as it is typically a mixture of coriander, turmeric, cumin, fenugreek, and red pepper. Any time you put turmeric on a dish make sure to add a little black pepper (biopherine), it increases your body’s absorption of turmeric by about 2000%!
- Purchase turmeric root or powder from the store and add to as many dishes and recipes as possible. Add black pepper to all dishes containing curcumin to increase bioavailablity. For supplements, or look for Curcumin products containing Biopherine.
Oregano has extremely high levels of antioxidants and antimicrobial compounds. It is a powerful parasite fighter. One teaspoon of oregano has the same antioxidant power (ORAC) of two cups of red grapes. It contains the phytochemical Quercetin, which is known to slow cancer growth and also promote apoptosis. Oregano is also a good source of Vitamin K and Iron.
- Use oregano powder in dishes and salad dressing. For concentrated doses, we recommend Oregano essential oil by Ameo. Use caution with the essential oils though as Oregano is a hot oil.
Garlic (a member of the allum family) is the most powerful anti-cancer spice. Studies have shown it to lower the risk of developing all types of cancers especially colon, stomach, intestinal, and prostate cancer. It has strong antibacterial properties as well as the ability to block formation and halt activation of cancer-causing substances. It can also enhance DNA repair, slow down cell reproduction, and like Turmeric and Oregano, induce apoptosis. It stops cancer growth and kills cancer cells. Other members of the allum family worth including are leeks, onions and green onions
- Inclue garlic as well as leeks, onions, and green onions in meals daily.
Cayenne Pepper contains Capsaicin, which is the active compound that makes this spice HOT. Capsaicin has also been shown to promote apoptosis.
The Hotter the Better: If you can handle the heat, Habanero Peppers contain 4-6 times more Capsaicin than Cayenne with a Scoville rating of 200,000 units.
- Enjoy cayenne and other peppers in as many recipes as possible daily.
Ginger has been shown to strengthen the immune system, prevent tumor development, is extremely anti-inflammatory and has been shown promote apoptosis. It has been shown it inhibit the growth of a number of cancers, including breast, colon, skin, lung, stomach, prostate, liver, and leukemia (to name a few).
- Buy ginger root at the store and add to smoothies and dishes daily. Ginger oil can also be used; 2 drops in liquid daily (we recommend Ameo brand).
- When supplementing with a ginger dietary supplement, make sure it has at least 10 percent standardized gingerols and take 100 mg twice daily with food (most products recommend taking ginger with food).
Frankincense has been shown to boost immunity, prevent infection and reduce inflammation. Also known as Boswellia (some supplements will show Boswellia on the label) frankincense contains a compound known as acetyl-11-keto-beta-boswellic acid or AKBA which has been shown to have potent anticancer power.
- Take 2 drops Frankincense oil in liquid daily or look for a supplement containing Bosswellia
Green Tea and EGCGGreen tea and the Polyphenol EGCG found in green tea possess promising benefits when it comes to preventing and fighting cancer. Green tea has been shown to be particularly beneficial for cancers of the breast, colon, prostate, lung, esophageal, stomach, pancreas, urinary, bladder, and melanomas. One study shows that it may even reduce the risk of breast cancer reoccurence by up to 50% in post-op stage I and II cancers.
While drinking green tea daily is a great way to ensure regular ingestion of this potent phyto-nutraceutical, one would need to drink 5-10 cups of tea daily to achieve significant values of EGCG. Thus, in conjunction with drinking green tea regularly, for those hoping to prevent and treat cancer naturally supplementing with EGCG in capsule form is an easy way to increase intake.
- Recommended doses of EGCG can be quite high when using as a cancer therapy. If taking in supplement form, look for a product that contains bioperine from black pepper to promote higher absorption. As some depletion of vitamin E can occur with high doses of green tea/EGCG, it is recommended to consult with a naturopathic physician when reaching doses above 700mg daily.
Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cabbage and kale contain compounds that can neutralize dangerous hormones and cancer-causing chemicals in a matter of days. In 2008, for example, researchers at Roswell Park Cancer Institute found up to a 50% lower chance of developing lung cancer among those men who ate the most cruciferous vegetables.
Top 10 Anti-Cancer Vegetables
3. Yellow and Green Onions
5. Brussels Sprouts
8. Red Cabbage and Curly Cabbage
10. Beet Root
3. Green beans
Protein: Garden of Life Raw Organic Meal Plant protein- Contains digestive enzymes as well as probiotics and superfoods. Visit our office to purchase.
- Use combine Garden of Life powder with the following ingredients for an awesome cancer-fighting smoothie: chia/flax, greens, coconut milk, beets, turmeric, ginger, cocao and even superfoods like moringa and amla for a super healthy daily smoothie!
- Dosage: 1 capsule am and pm
Pure Encapsulations Pure Cell: Offers advanced antioxidant and adaptogenic support for maintaining cellular health and protecting healthy tissue.
-Alpha lipoic acid offers intracellular and extracellular antioxidant protection
-Coenzyme Q10 maintains the integrity and cellular membranes.
-N-acetyl-cysteine and Selenium replenish glutathione, scavenge free radicals and promote liver function
-Astralagus support macrophage, natural killer (NK) cells and T-cell activity -Ashwagnda and Panax Ginseng promote healthy cell signaling and gene expression at the cellular level with encouraging overall energy and vitality
- Dosage: 2 capsules am and pm
Vitamin D3 5000: Studies suggest vitamin D supports colon health by promoting healthy cellular function. Vitamin D is also believed to provide general cellular support potential by helping to maintain a healthy angiogenesis balance, supporting immune cell activity and maintaining healthy cell metabolism. Preliminary evidence suggests that vitamin D may also play a role in maintaining healthy glucose metabolism as vitamin D receptors are present on the islet cells of the pancreas.
- Dosage: 1 capsule am (may need more if lab tests show deficiency)
Metagenics Ultra Potent C: Vitamin C is one of the most potent dietary antioxidants, providing optimal nutritional support to all physiological functions in the body. As a potent antioxidant, Vitamin C reduces free radicals in the body and supports the body's defense system by enhacning white blood cell function and activity.
- Dosage: 1 capsule am and pm
Super Garlic 6000: A super concentrated garlic supplement. Each batch is guaranteed by independent assay to supply an allicin yield of 6000 mcg per tablet. Super Garlic 6000 is also enteric coated to ensure it dissolves in the intestine- not the mouth or stomach- to allow you to get all of the benefits of garlic, without the garlic breath.
- Take 1 tablet daily
- Pure Encapsulations Green Tea Extract: This concentrated extract contains a high EGCG content, providing antioxidant support for all cells in the body. Teavigo is another product containing a highly purified and refined source of EGCG for optimal cellular function and antioxidant protection.
- Take 1-3 tablets daily, in divided doses with meals
All Metagenics products can be ordered online at: Metagenics Store
Pure Encapsulation products can be ordered online at: Pure Encapsulations Store
First time customers will save 20% plus free shipping on their first online Metagenics order. Any products that will be taken continually can be set to Auto Re-order for 10% off plus free shipping.
Additional Treatment Options
Ketogenic Diet for Cancer: Nutritional Counselor Cassie Kremer is experienced and passionate about helping patients utilize the ketogenic diet as a natural cancer therapy. As this therapy can be difficult to implement and maintain, we recommend scheduling a new patient appointment with Cassie to learn if this diet is right for you and to get started.
PEMF Therapy: This can be used to promote detoxification, improve nutrient uptake, support cellular function, stimulate tissue healing, reduce inflammation and so much more! Click here to learn more about PEMF therapy at Wellness Doctor.
Click here to learn more about PEMF therapy for various forms of cancer.
For those recently diagnosed with Cancer, we highly recommend Naturopathic Oncologist Dr. Katherine Neubauer of Cascade Cancer Care as a valuable and trusted resource. Our Nutritional Counselor, Cassie Kremer, works closely with Dr. Neubauer when building nutritional programs for cancer patients.