Functional Medicine Programs in Bend Oregon
Let us help you live a longer and more fulfilling life through inspired health. Functional Medicine at Wellness Doctor is the way to get there.
With numerous paths to take to ultimately get to the root cause of so many chronic conditions and symptoms of poor health, Dr. Kremer typically starts with getting your body back to balance. This often starts with guidance on Sleep, Stress Reduction, Exercise, and an Anti-inflammatory Diet. A thorough history and examination will take you back to "when" or "how" your symptoms started and often with a triggering event. Digging deeper into ones history, other triggers, or mediators will also be uncovered. For our patients, when the "why" is often better understood, the treatment path becomes more clear and attainable for lasting results. You will never be told "It's all in your head", and be given an antidepressant.
Cost of Initial Functional Medicine Visit - $450
- A typical initial visit with Dr. Kremer takes an hour and includes a VERY thorough History. The goal of this visit is to trace back an individuals lifelong triggers and mediators which have ultimately lead to autoimmune diseases, cancer, chronic pain, fatigue and other symptoms of poor health. Patients may have specific lab recommendations given at this time and Dr. Kremer will now begin to put together your personalized Functional Medicine program. The same approach goes for those who are already healthy but want to have a more preventative program or have family history concerns (Alzheimers, autoimmune disease, heart disease, cancer, etc.). Even for the elite athletes, finding out how efficiently everything is running under the hood while improving gastrointestinal function and reducing oxidative stress can speed recovery, prevent injuries, and optimize performance.
- A Nutritional Consulatation with our Nutritionist is included in the cost of your initial Functional Medicine appointment and is typically scheduled within the same week or following week. Dr. Kremer creates a plan consisting of further lab testing (costing extra) as well as specific dietary and lifestyle interventions in which our Nutritionist will go over. For some individuals, this can be enough to get them back on track to feeling great again!
- If continued dietary and lifestyle changes alone are preferred, patients will often continue on with our Nutritionist for making the appropriate dietary changes, meal planning, improving sleep, stress reduction, exercise, and prescribing the appropriate supplements.
- If labs are ordered, there will be a 30 minute follow up lab review with Dr. Kremer ($150) once all labs are complete. This fee includes the 30 minute lab review, interpretation fee, and personalized supplementation program to be emailed to the patient. These results will be explained and further streamline your program and improve results.
- Paperwork should be dropped off or emailed back at least 2 days prior to your visit with any other recent (past 6 months) labwork or relavent imaging. Paperwork can be found Here.
Common Functional Labs Ordered
Dr. Kremer often starts with one to three specific functional lab tests which provide a bigger picture of what's truly going on within the three main systems of the body.
Below are three of the most common lab tests that Dr. Kremer recommends regarding the three main areas that need to be addressed and corrected- Neuroendocrine, Gastrointestinal, and Detoxification/Inflammation.
These lab test can be ordered along with your initial Functional Medicine evaluation or later, after making the recommended dietary and lifestyle changes for up to 2 months. These home testing kits only require saliva, stool, and/or urine testing and there is no need for a blood draw.
*Further lab testing may also be recommended after your thorough Initial Visit. Other testing may include: Food Allergy or Sensitivity Testing, Celiac Testing, Cardiometabolic or Cholesterol Testing, Lyme Disease Testing, Hormone Testing, and basic bloodwork like a CBC or Chem Panel.
The Adrenocortex Stress Profile (ASP) provides an assessment of the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal (HPA) axis using carefully timed salivary samples of the hormones cortisol and DHEA. Salivary testing is an easy, non-invasive option to measure unbound, biologically active parent hormone levels. The report offers an easy-to-interpret graphic which plots the results of the cortisol awakening response (CAR) and the natural diurnal rhythm.
Daily stress, chronic pain, blood sugar dysregulation, toxins, poor sleep, work stressors and unhealthy environments or relationships can alter the HPA axis over time. Imbalances in adrenal hormones can have a wide range of negative consequences that can adversely impact a patient's overall quality of life. The symptoms of HPA axis dysfunction can be vague and are highly variable but may include: fatigue, insomnia, weight gain, depression, GI complaints, and chronic pain.
HPA axis dysfunction is associated with many conditions including:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Gastrointestinal and immune dysregulation
- Diabetes and metabolic syndrome
- Chronic fatigue
- Persistent pain
- Neurodegenerative disease and cognitive decline
Adrenocortex Stress Profile testing can reveal these HPA axis imbalances and provide direction for clinical intervention with targeted therapeutic treatments such as nutrient support and/or adaptogens, stress management, behavioral modification and lifestyle interventions. This test is often done in conjunction with the GI Map and Organix test to give our practioners a thorough understanding of a patient's underlying health issues as well as helping with an individualized treatment plan.
GI Map Stool Test
After using quite a few various stool tests in our office over the years, we've come to rely on the GI-MAP (GI-Microbial Assay Plus) test for its fast, efficient and accurate results. This test quantitatively assesses a patient’s microbiome with attention to bacterial, parasitic, and viral pathogens that can cause disease, disrupt the normal microbial balance, and contribute to chronic GI illness.
Diagnostic Solutions Laboratory utilizes proven qPCR technology with high Sensitivity and Specificity to provide quantitative, accurate and reliable results.
FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH SYMPTOMS OF:
- Chronic and Acute Gastroenteritis
- IBD- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- IBS-Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Autoimmune Disease
- Skin Issues
- Brain Fog
- Suspected H. pylori Infection
- Fungal or Yeast Infections
- Bacterial & Parasitic Infections
- Intestinal Permeability
- Viral Pathogens
THE GI-MAP INCLUDES THESE ANALYTES:
- Bacterial Pathogens
- Viral Pathogens
- Parasitic Pathogens
- Parasitic Protozoa
- Parasitic Worms
- Normal Bacterial Flora
- Opportunistic Bacteria
- H-pylori with Virulence Factors
- Immune Response
- Antibiotic Resistance Genes
- Add-on option: Zonulin (Leaky Gut marker)
Click Here to learn more about GI Map Testing
Organic Acid and Nutritional Testing
The Organix Test by Genova Diagnostics is a nutritional test providing insights into organic acids and the body's metabolic processes. This test can be used for both adults and children to provide physicians with a tailored plan of intervention for each patients individual needs.
This test is valuable for determining:
- Functional vitamin and mineral status
- Amino acid insufficiencies
- Oxidative damage
- Phase 1 and 11 detox capacity
- Markers for intestinal bacterial or yeast overgrowth
- Neurotransmitter metabolites
- Mitochondrial energy production
- Lipoic accid and CoQ10 status
All with one simple urine analysis!
This test may be beneficial for those struggling with:
- Weight Issues
- Sleep abnormalities
- Depression and mood issues
- Chemical sensitivities
COMBINE the GI Map, Organix, and Adrenocortex Profile for the Most Comprehensive Look at the 3 Main Body Systems
While every patient is unique, with their own personal health history, genetic makeup, environment and stressors, we also find that many patients are still so similar! We've come to find that for patients struggling with chronic fatigue, weight loss resistance, chronic digestive issues, mood issues, chronic inflammation, brain fog and/or autoimmune issues the most efficient plan of attack is to run the GI Map, Organix, and Adrenocortex tests together. With the results from these three tests, we can then decide which system could potentially be holding you back from fully healing, living pain free, or enhancing sports performance. Often times, it's dysregulated adrenal function that is affecting gastrointestinal health and thus preventing absorption of essential vitamins and minerals. Other times its poor gastrointestinal function that is putting added stress on the body, thus affecting the adrenals and ultimately throwing the body's metabolic and detoxificatoin processes off track.
While many practitioners will run one test at a time, we find that we get the best outcomes when we combine the GI Map, Organix and Adrenocortex Profile. In an effort to make these tests more affordable, we offer a 10% discount (a savings of over $100) when these three tests are purchased together.